Monday, July 14, 2008

GALOLE

Hon. Maj. (rtd) Dhadho G. Godana, MP (ODM)
Assistant Minister,
Ministry of Information & Communications

Galole MP, Major (rtd) Dhadho Gaddae Godana is a former military man. He says his previous career prepared him well to be a people’s representative. Some of the skills he acquired in the army, he says, are precision, time management, people skills and believe in oneself.The father of two retired in September at the age of 40 after 18 years in the armed forces. This gave him about 115 days to go around 22 locations in Galole constituency to convince about 9,000 voters that he was the best option.He, however, says he was sure of victory because "people had expressed dissatisfaction with the previous leadership"."I have strong links with the local people.

I was born at Handampia village and attended the local Handampia Primary School, " he says.He also admits that clannism has always defined the area’s politics. " I come from the Kinanatho clan, which is the largest and the most influential in Tana River District. The clan has strong affiliations with the Orma. This made it easy for me to be accepted," he says. The other advantage for him was his extensive work as a military officer in North Eastern Province. He was once in charge of the North frontier districts of Wajir, Garisa and Tana River District. "I realised that the people of Galole were yet to get a leader who understands their unique and complex problems," the MP says." I spent time to find out problems that affected my people.

I realised that leaders did not know the problems facing the local people and how to address them. I saw this as an opportunity and decided to take the plunge on ODM ticket," says Godana. Most Galole residents are pastrolists while a few are peasant farmers. The constituency is one of the few where CDF money has not been utilised since the programme was introduced in 2003. Godana has inherited a kitty with about Sh150 million.Galole does not have electricity or a tarmac road. Godana has an enormous task to improve the economy of the area. He also has to end clan feuds that often explode to bloody clashes. The retired soldier says he is under no illusion that his work will be easy. "Insecurity is a big issue. I have to seek lasting solution to inter community hostilities," he says.

The MP says the solution lies with the locals themselves.Pokomo governanceThe MP is already working on the revival of the traditional conflict resolution structures."I intend to strengthen the traditional Pokomo government popularly known as the Kijo, the Pokomo council of elders referred to as Gasa, and the Orma traditional government," says Godana. He says the traditional governance system must be strengthened to ensure cultural, traditional and social structures are in place. Water is a major reason for the conflict. The MP says provision of water is one of his many goals. "Both the farming community and pastoralists came up with water corridors popularly known as Malkas, where animals access the river," he says. The former military officer who served in Yugoslavia in a peace mission believes dialogue is key in solving conflict. While serving in Yugoslavia, he received a commendation certificate for his effort in bringing the wrangling parties together."My style of leadership is people’s participation. I’m going to involve the people all the way," he says.

Godana says development is three phased — social, economical and political. "If there is disconnect, there can never be development," he says. The MP says politics is a serious business but it has been trivialised. It is viewed as a preserve of selfish individuals who want to protect their ill-gotten wealth. He says he would use his expertise to bring a unique leadership that would be envied."I did not go to Parliament for fun.

I do understand the unique problems facing my people and I want to introduce leadership that after about 10 years or more, Kenyans will look at Galole people and see that something happened," he says "I do not wish to be a five year MP, I want to remain here long enough and bring change to my people. I want to be a role model to those who will come after me," he says.

Immediate former MP:

+++++++++
Sources: THE STANDARD
Story by: Ngumbao Kithi

No comments: